Frequently Asked Questions

Please review the Zoning By-Law or contact the Township Office to verify the zoning and setbacks of your property.

Any shed over 108 sq. feet. If the shed is under this size, you must still meet the property zoning setbacks for placement of the shed. Please contact the Township Office to verify the zoning and setbacks.

The Township of Baldwin does not have any jurisdiction over private wells. Please contact the Ministry of Environment at 1-800-890-8511 (you will need to have your tax bill handy with the legal description and possibly the roll number).

Septic Systems are governed by the Public Health Sudbury and District Offices.  Please visit their website for more information. Click Here

If you are building a fence for purposes other than a swimming pool, you do not require a permit. Please contact the Township Office for more information on the swimming pool fence by-law.

If the deck/platform provides a means of egress into and/or out of a dwelling, a permit is required.   It is considered an extension of that dwelling regardless of size; if connected/not connected to the dwelling; or the height off the ground. 

A permit is not required if:

  1. There is no means of egress provided to/from the dwelling (Guards are installed on all sides) or is a free standing deck (in a field/yard);
  2. It is less than 24″ from grade to the floor; and
  3. Is less than 108 sq. ft.

Please contact the Public Works Department for more information on culverts.

House/Cottage – 10 business days from the time that all of the required paperwork is received.

Simple Applications (deck, garage, renovation) – 10 business days or less.

Commercial/Industrial/Institutional – up to 30 business days.

Yes. Usually one year. Permits can be extended if they are being actively worked on. In some instances, a site inspection is required to extend a permit. You may eventually be required to apply for a new permit to complete the project.

A minimum of 24 hours.  Inspections are conducted on Monday and Friday afternoons. (Subject to change without notice)

Please provide 2 sets of amended drawings to the Building Department for review. In some cases, and additional fee is payable.

Contact Township of Baldwin - Building Controls

Skip to content